Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wind Power For Homes

Wind Power For Homes
John asks...

HOW DO I BUILD A HOMEMADE WIND GENERATOR?

Wondered if anyone knew how to build a simple homemade WIND generator to POWER our home? A homemade WIND generator that is not too complicated would be good. Do you know how to build a WIND generator? Please help us.Thanks

WINDMILL FARMS ANSWERS:


The first thing you need to do is figure out how big of a wind generator you need. Most wind generators that are over 1000 watts in generating power are quite a bit more difficult to build. You will need to have your wind generator 15 feet above any obstruction within 300 feet. That is a must.

Some great resources exist but probably reading an article or two about building wind generators would help a lot. Try the resource I listed for a very informative article, there is mention of a website in the article where you can find some great wind generator plans too. Hope this helps, we have built 3 wind generators so far with these plans.

Mark asks...

IS THE USAGE OF WIND POWERED GENERATORS & SOLAR GENERATORS ILLEGAL IN SINGAPORE?

I'm planning to buy either a WIND Powered Generators, Solar Generators or a Hybrid Generator to be more "Green" & at the same time save on electric bills I'm able to install such a generator on my home

WINDMILL FARMS ANSWERS:


Its sad that Singaporeans should ask such questions. We are so timid. At the very worst you get a fine for installing green equipments. Take a MRT ride where you can see many terrace houses. You will find many with solar roofs.Their owners are not languishing in Changi prison. As for wind power, Singapore is not windy whole year round. Best stick with solar panels.

Donna asks...

I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT WIND POWER?

Well, I don't know much about WINDPOWER and I was wondering if I could go completely off the grid with WINDPOWER, or do I need to have a backup like solar? How much would it cost to buy a WIND turbine and have it installed? Since I'd be making electricity on my own land, would it be free? Can I use WINDPOWERFOR heating my home?

Sorry it's so many questions.

I meant once I install it, would I get electricity free?

WINDMILL FARMS ANSWERS:


Hey Piper, Kristen is quite right on the numbers. We power our entire home with wind and solar power, and we have made plenty of mistakes. If you want to run everything, you will need a herculean sized wind plant, maybe something on the order of 10 kilowatts or more. Ours is a 1kw, but the solar does most of the work here, even though it is more expensive. The question you have to answer first is am I trying to save money, or do I want to get rid of the power company entirely. To cut down your energy bill, I would suggest a wind turbine direct to grid tie system. The wind plant produces whatever power it can and dumps it in your home, if it's more than you need, it sends the rest out the grid line, and your meter spins backwards. Problem is, if the grid goes down, your wind plant shuts down too, it has to have someplace to go all the time. If you want your own source, you have to have battery storage, and a larger plant, then you are spending more money up front for equipment, but if the power goes out, you probably won't be aware of it. We have the latter system, and twice last year it provided us with power when the entire county was without, hard to put a price tag on that.

My suggestion is you do some reading for a while, start with Home Power Magazine, then check out the library. Our home was actually featured in Home Power twice in the past, use their search engine and look for, "small system first." You might decide not to get involved, and that's fine too, but at least you will be well informed. Take care, Rudydoo

Donald asks...

IS THERE A US COMPANY THAT THE PUBLIC CAN PURCHASE A WIND GERERATOR AND HAVE IT INSTALLED?

I want to find out about WINDPOWER. I live in a semi rural area on a 1-1/2 acre piece of land. How big of a generator do I need FOR a 4BR Home with A/C running 7-8 months a year. Looking FOR a company who can sell and install the unit and handle permits and other requirements. A Turn-Key deal is what I want if practical and cost effective.

WINDMILL FARMS ANSWERS:


There is a US company called Southwestpower that can get you set-up with wind power for your home. Their product is the Skystream 3.7 Residential Wind Turbine, and it will cost approximately 5,500.00 USD to purchase. From what I've read, I think installation costs are another 12,000 - 15,000, so the initial investment will typically be in the range of 17,500 USD to 22,500 USD. Rebates and incentives will reduce the purchase price in some areas, but that's a lot of money!

The other option is to build your own turbine to wind power your home. I am not much of a do-it-yourselfer, but the cost savings are just too large to ignore. You can purchase instructions for taking on this type of a project from various sources. The instructions seem to range in price from 10-50 and they promise the materials will cost less than 200. Even if it takes you a couple of weekends to complete the project and it ends up costing twice as much to build the product, that's quite a difference in costs!

Here are a couple of links that should get you started in your research.

Http://www.skystreamenergy.com

http://www.earth4energy.ca

Good luck!

Daniel asks...

HOW TO MAKE MY OWN WIND POWER?

I want to take a regular motor and change it to make WINDPOWER. Can anybody give me a website that show me how to do this (or something like it). Please do not give a website that makes you buy something. I want a website that show me how to do it.

WINDMILL FARMS ANSWERS:


Try these links.

If you want to build even larger turbines, just search "how to build a wind turbine." Some people have built very large ones at home.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Wicca and WitchCraft